Om has three syllables ,A /U /M its elaboration is Vyahruti.Vyahruti elaborates into Ashtakshara .Ashtakshara further interprets to Gayatri. Gayatri gives rise to Purushsuktha. From Purushsuktha emanates entire Vedas.
Purushsuktha is very special in vedic literature as it appears in all the rig,yajus,sama and atharva . Bramha prays Narayana to take Krishnavatara with Purushsuktha. Bhagavata mentions Narayana avatara of Purusha as the first incarnation. There are three Purusha incarnation:
- one who has created Mahatatwa
- one inside the Bramhanda
- one that resides in all of us.
Purushsuktha is used for shodashopchara pooja of Vishnu. It explains the creation by God. Purushsktha is excellent for
- Vishnu aradhana ( daily prayers)
- Moksha (salvation)
- Jagat vashikarana ( to attract one and all)
- Agni upasthana ( to kindle fire for yagnya)
- Suputraprapti (obtaining progeny)
- sarvabhistasiddhi (fulfillment of desires)
- Dehaarogya( health)
- Akaal mrutyu nivaran ( to get rid of premature death)